Microsoft Imagine Academy
Learn Microsoft Office and technology skills online through the Microsoft Imagine Academy. This free program is available to all Washington State residents.
With Microsoft Imagine Academy, you have access to course videos, study guides and practices files for:
- Microsoft Office 2016 or 2019 applications
- Learning paths for computer science, data science, and IT infrastructure
Complete the following steps:
- input your zip code
- under “Agency” select “Not a State Employee”
- check the box that says “I certify that I am an employee or resident of the State of Washington”
Microsoft Imagine Academy is a partnership between Microsoft and the Washington State Library, and is funded in part through the Washington State Legislature.
Microsoft Certification Exams
MOS, MTA, and MTC
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA), and Microsoft Technical Certifications (MTC) certifications are an industry recognized certification demonstrating one's proficiency to an employer or prospective college. MOS certifications validate one's tech knowledge in a Microsoft Office application - test takers can test in either Office 2016 or Office 2019. MTA certifications are for tech professionals with tracks in software development, databases (data platform administration and business intelligence), and IT infrastructure (desktop and server infrastructure, and private cloud computing). MTC certifications provide a foundation for those interested in starting a career in artificial intelligence, data science, and cloud computing.
The Seattle Public Library is partnering with Washington State Library to offer free MOS, MTA, and MTC certification exams as a part of the Microsoft Imagine Academy program.
For a limited time, exams are being offered virtually as Exams from Home (in person exams are not currently available) - please read Certiport’s Test Candidate Guide to ensure your device meets the technical requirements.
We offer the following certification exams:
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS):
- Access 2016
- Access Expert 2019
- Excel 2016 or 2019
- Excel Expert 2016 or 2019
- Outlook 2016 or 2019
- PowerPoint 2016 or 2019
- Word 2016 or 2019
- Word Expert 2016 or 2019
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA):
- Database Administration Fundamentals
- HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
- Introduction to Programming using HTML and CSS
- Introduction to Programming using Java
- Introduction to Programming using Python
- Mobility and Device Fundamentals
- Networking Fundamentals
- Security Fundamentals
- Software Development Fundamentals
- Windows Operating System Fundamentals
- Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
Microsoft Technical Certifications (MTC):
- Azure AI Fundamentals
- Azure Data Fundamentals
- Azure Fundamentals
- Microsoft 365 Fundamentals
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Fundamentals
- Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals
We have resources available to help you study:
- Preview the exam interface
- Review the MOS 2016 Study Guides. Books are available to check out for Access, Excel, Excel Expert, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Word Expert. Email us if you wish to receive instructions on how to download the study guides.
- Take a Lynda.com class online with your Library card.
- Take a LearnKey MOS or MTA class online from home or by reserving a MOS/MTA/MTC practice computer on Level 5 of the Central Library. To reserve these computers, ask a staff member. Email us if you wish to receive instructions on how to access LearnKey from home.
- Take a practice test using GMetrix software from home or by reserving a MOS/MTA/MTC practice computer on Level 5 of the Central Library. To reserve these computers, ask a staff member. Email us if you wish to receive instructions on how to access GMetrix from home.
- Drop in for an intermediate Word or Excel class at your Library.
- Sign up for Tech Help to review one of the competencies in the Word or Excel Self Assessments.